Saving up for your dream bike can be quite a challenge. Especially when you have some high standards. How do you stay motivated? How do you keep saving for that dream? We give you some tips and advice.
Maybe you directly bumped into your dream bike. Was she standing there. At a motorcycle shop, on a trade show or in the garage of another motorcycle lover. You didn’t have to think twice. You spent all your well earned money without a doubt to bring that dream bike home with you. And maybe she still stands in your garage. Or safely in your shed. Maybe even in your living room?
Whereas one find his of her dream bike in an instance, others search for months. Years even. Spending hours on the internet and going through motorcycle shops like Sherlock Holmes. It’s no easy thing. The biggest advantage of that time consuming search? You also have time to save up money. Have you reached your goal regarding your savings and haven’t you found that true dream bike yet? Then that dream can become even bigger. Maybe do go for that special limited edition colour you actually wanted to save on. Or go for one with even less kilometers on the odometer.
And then there’s a third option. You do come across your dream bike, several times even. Each one a perfect representation of everything you wanted. Your dream bike. In the right colour with all the desired options and the perfect mileage; as less as possible. There she stands. Your heart skips a beat and you’re doing cartwheels. Only to get both your feet back on the ground again. She won’t come home with you. ‘Cause that piggy bank isn’t fat enough. The frustration, the sulking and the sadness. We feel you. “Will she ever come home with me?!” Yes, she will. She will stand in your garage. Or in your living room, surrounded by spotlights.
It’s no easy task, saving up for you dream bike. Especially when your dream bike comes with a heavy price tag. Are you that special kind of lucky bird too? That type that falls in love with the most expensive version of things? Or the most limited editions? One of which only 200 are mad, or a model from the early 90s, making them almost impossible to obtain? Then we can shake hands. How do you stay motivated? And how do you keep saving up for your dream bike? Let me help you a bit.
1. Open a separate savings account for your dream bike. Set a goal. Most online banking applications allow you to set a goal and give you an insight with percentages to see how far you’ve come. Or in the light of positive thinking; how close you are to reaching that goal. Sometimes adulting sucks and unexpected expenses have to be paid with a part of your savings from your dream bike account. Those moments suck. Take that hit and just save again. Keep going. Maybe you could save a bit extra when you a little financial windfall.
Automate saving money. Do you have some trouble saving the same amount of money every month? Then add an automatic transfer. Look at it as ‘a bill you have to pay’ for your future dream bike. Before you know it, you won’t notice that extra ‘bill’ anymore and saving will go naturally. Of course it could also feel like a ‘must’. Let’s also highlight the positive side of manual transfers to your savings account. At that moment, it just feels very good that you can muster the strength and motivation to transfer some extra money to reach that dream.
2. Remind yourself why you save up that much. Add some reminders in your agenda. Do you have a lot of trouble with staying motivated? Especially since it’s taking a long time? Then add a bunch of reminders, inspiring messages etcetera. Add 3 of 4 per week. Think of messages like “Keep going! Picture yourself riding your favourite twisties on your dream bike” or “Sooner rather than later she will stand in that garage of yours!”. Be creative and motivate yourself.
3. Go for a test ride every now and then. Do you come across a motorcycle that resembles your dream bike, but isn’t just yet? Maybe it’s not the right colour. Or it doesn’t have the perfect milage or it isn’t the right edition. But it still is the same model. And it has similar or the same riding characteristics. And isn’t that ultimately why you want that dream bike that much? Maybe you fell in love with the looks of a certain motorcycle. But those unique riding characteristics, they form the very essence that make you so enthusiastic about that machine. So go for a test ride, even when it’s not perfect for you. Put aside that disappointment of ‘not being able to take that motorcycle home with you’ and enjoy the ride. It will boost your motivation, I promise!
4. Do you work on your laptop on a daily basis? Or do you often check your phone? Then it’s no big punishment to see your dream bike glittering on the background, right? Give it a quick glance and remind yourself why you’re doing all this. Too much confrontation? Then switch that background for your cute dog or crazy cat. Or install a fashionable quote or inspiring photograph again. Does seeing that motorcycle of your dreams motivate you? Then this isn’t such a crazy idea.
5. Keep your eyes and ears open. Keep searching like Sherlock. We know to what levels frustration can rise when you see that perfect dream bike and aren’t able to pick her up yet. And the desperate thoughts afterwards. “I will never come across one like this again”. After a few months or maybe even a year later, you do come across another one. But an even better one. It reminds you that the most perfect dream bike is out there. And that it stands there, waiting for you to bring her home.
Saving up for your dream bike can be a tough job. One saves easily, for another it doesn’t come that natural. How quick that dream bike stands in your garage, shed or living room depends on how big that dream is. Or how hefty the price tag is. Maybe it depends on how many bikes there were produced. Or are many there are left over time. Saving becomes easier once you keep yourself motivated and work in a structured way. That dream will come closer. For example by setting goals, automate saving and by keeping yourself motived through test riding. Don’t give up! You will own and ride that dream bike of yours before you know it.